India is an iconic country to travel and offers a whole new world to the travel fanatics. Travelled by millions of people throughout the year, the country is famed for a tourist capital of $121 billion and contributes 6.4% in the nation's GDP. Travelling this wonderful country is fun, tranquillising and a joy ride.
Let's check some of the facts about India:
- India is a South Asian country with total 3,287,240 square kilometres (1,269,210 sq mi) of geographical area and has seventh largest land area in the World.
- It is the largest democracy of the world with 28 states and 7 union territories and is considered as home to 27 UNESCO heritage sites of the world.
- It hosts the world's largest and oldest civilisation, the Indus valley civilisation which is aged as 5000 years old.
- India shares its border with Pakistan, China, Nepal, Burma, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
- Nearly 1,652 dialects and languages are spoken in India.
- It's a place with geographic diversities with snowy mountain ranges in the north, dessert in the west, oceans in the south and bay in the east.
- Himalayan ranges are one of the top ten popular tracks.
- Heritage places like Taj Mahal which is the seventh wonder of the world.
- Climatic variations with four seasons (summer, winter, rainy and monsoon). Best time to visit it is winters ranging between November to February months.
- There are seven types of classical dances and numerous folk dances of India.
- National Geographic has crowned South Indian state of Kerala with the travel title of 'Ten paradises of the World'. It is also coveted with the title of '50 must see destinations of a lifetime' and 'one of the 100 great trips for the 21st century'.
- Ladakh, north Indian city is the place with maximum Buddhist temples and stupas in the world after Tibet. It is called as 'Little Tibet'.
- Built by Indian army in 1982, the Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in Ladakh between the Dras and Suru rivers originating in the Himalayas.
- Located in the city of Tirupathi the temple of Lord Vishnu was built in the 10th century. It is the world's largest religious pilgrimage destination. Larger than either Rome or Mecca, it attracts an average of 30,000 visitors everyday. The donation from the devotees equates to $6 million (US) everyday.
- Varanasi is the oldest city dating back to 500 B.C. It is a continuously inhabited city of the world.
- Ancient martial arts of Kalaripayattu originated in India and is considered the parent of Kung-Fu and Karate.
- Practised since 5,000 years Yoga originated in India.
- Cherrapunji town of the eastern Indian state of Meghalaya is the second wettest place with the highest rainfall in the world. It receives 425 inches of rain every year. This figure is five times the rain received by rain forests of South America.
- The coast line of India is 4,700 miles.
- Traveller's delight is the golden triangle of India which consists of capital city of Delhi, wonderful Taj Mahal in Agra and pink city Jaipur.
- India has world's largest road network with 1.9 million miles of roads across the country. It also has the world's second largest train network.
- Decimal system, value of Pi and Chess have originated in India.
- The ancient system of medicine, Ayurveda was born in India by the contribution of 84,000 sages. Surgeries were done here 2,600 years ago.
We will be adding more facts about India soon. So, keep reading!!